Title: Office Manager
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Work Day/Hours: 9am-3pm, Monday-Thursday
Updated: October 2018
Covenant Lutheran Church is a place of welcome and the office manager provides a warm and friendly atmosphere while maintaining a safe, organized, confidential and respectful environment.
The office manager reports to senior pastor for daily supervision while the council president and executive committee provides general administrative support in the form of direction, guidance and executive decision-making. The office manager interacts with members of the congregation and community in the areas of communication, publications, scheduling, church business management and hospitality. The office manager also functions as a receptionist greeting and welcoming those who come to the church providing a professional, welcoming presence. The office manager maintains confidentiality in regards to all church matters.
- Associate degree in office management or equivalent
- Proficient knowledge in the area of Microsoft Office (especially Word & PowerPoint), social media, scheduling software, data entry, and databases software, with the ability to quickly master a variety of software programs and stay up-to-date with changes and new products. Prior experience with Breeze Church Management software, or similar cloud-based management software, a plus.
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task with the ability to graciously handle unexpected and challenging situations
- Excellent organizational skills as evidenced by the ability to create and maintain filing, recordkeeping and archiving systems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with others’ personal information
- Provide a warm and friendly environment by welcoming guests and congregants coming into the office
- Assist volunteers, church members and visitors by addressing their needs and supporting them in their work at the church
- Manage development, implementation, and maintenance of printed and electronic materials and communications: bulletins, email communications, letters, reports, newsletters, social media platforms, website, master calendar
- Answer the phone during office hours, screen and relay messages
- Call hospitals for daily admittance of congregants
- Maintain church calendar
- Schedule volunteers for worship involvement
- Communicate with staff and volunteers to assure all items are on the calendar.
- Communicate with church and outside groups to coordinate building usage meanwhile adjusting building needs to the calendar: Integra 32 Server, HVAC system
- Manage and maintain all official records and files of the congregation (meeting minutes and church records, including but not limited to legal documents, contracts, purchases, service agreements, warrantees, vendors etc.)
- Collaborate with membership secretary and data recorder to assure proper handling of information, flow of documents, security of financial and other information
- Maintain and follow procedures for retention, protection, retrieval, transfer and disposal of records
- Provide direction, guidance and or coordination of the work of office support staff and volunteers
- Participate in resolving administrative problems
- Manage, research and compile the development of reports for congregation meetings by coordinating and reviewing reports from all committees within the congregation
- Maintain office supplies and manage vendors to ensure the functions of equipment and supplies
- Coordinate with senior pastor and families in funeral and internment planning
- Collaborate with church treasurer, financial secretary, and finance committee in maintaining records related to church policies and procedures.
- Facilitate background checks and maintain confidential records
- Coordinate with custodial staff in building setup, maintenance and other property needs
- Coordinate building usage calendar and related requests followed up with confirmation details
- Perform other duties or work as needed or requested
- Set boundaries, when needed with kindness and understanding